Friday, September 23, 2011

Can both my front inner and outter tie rods be broke if I have been driving all this time?

I have read and heard that if your tie rods are broken then you can't steer your car. Well a place I took my car 2 years ago to get an oil change said that both the front and back inner and outter rods were broke and needed to be replaced and it would be $800

now today my husband finally asked another repair man who said it would be $600



Is it possible to drive for years on broken tie rods in the front and back????

or are they just trying to rob me?
Can both my front inner and outter tie rods be broke if I have been driving all this time?
broke and bad are two different things.



broke would mean the actual tie rod either snapped (pretty damn hard to do) or that the balljoint in the end of the rod physically came out of the socket. in either case, you would completely lose use of that tierod.



bad are when the balljoint in the end is worn just plain slap *** out and you have all kinds of steering play as a result.



either way, those shops are trying to rob the hell out of you.



tierods are normally $30 parts and inner ones are the only ones that take anything extra to really replace. they are probably charging you a buttload in labor and going to try to charge you like $120 for an alignment lol.
Can both my front inner and outter tie rods be broke if I have been driving all this time?
theres a differnce between worn out,,,bad and broken..you can't drive with broken tie rods...im sure the mechanic ment worn out,,no good,,unsafe..
might be worn out/cant be broken/probably tie rod ends are shot/take it to sears see what they say
Wow, tie rods on the rear! NOT! Unless you have 4 wheel steering, the vehicle doesn't have rear tie rods. You can have inner and outer on the front though, and NO if they were literally broken you would not be able to drive the vehicle. If they were worn, you would feel a very very loose steering. In short, they are trying to rob you. They cost about $25 each, and you'll have to have an alignment done after installation. So your looking at $200 tops.
I have a Dodge Neon and had both my inner and outer tie rods replaced yesterday. I kept on hearing a rattling noise in the front end of my car, especially when I drove over bumps. Total cost for me in parts and labor was $175.00. When I got my car back, I noticed that the steering was much tighter than before.



I have no knowledge about car repair stuff but I have a good garage that I trust when I need work done to my car. I was very satisfied and happy that the repair wasn't very expensive.