Thursday, September 15, 2011

I just had all my tires ballanced and my tie rods changed why is mt stering wheel still moving when i drive???

it all started when i got 2 new tires in the front 245 35 20 got everything rebalanced even the rear but my stering wheel was shaking then i had some one look at it and said my tie rods (outer) were bad had them changed but my wheet is still shaking what could it be its cool at 0-40 but at 40 and up (mph) its still shaking ?????????????
I just had all my tires ballanced and my tie rods changed why is mt stering wheel still moving when i drive???
You put 20's on your vehicle, so this with magnify anything you go over through the steering wheel. Without knowing your vehicle type you make it rough to diagnose. Year, make, and any modifications that you have made would help. Steering gear box end play can be felt in the steering, worn pitman arm or idler arm can cause this also. Upper or lower control arm bushings can have excessive play. Ball joints can also be the cause. Too much to possibly be the cause, A good inspection by a qualified technician is in order .



NOW that I know the vehicle, I can tell you that you do not have a idler arm or pitman arm or control arm bushings. You have a rack and pinion and they use inner and outer tie rod ends. Your car also has a steering link in the steering shaft that is prone to play. This is serviceable with a grease lube kit from the dealership. The lower ball joint can have play and should be checked. With the large tires that you have, any movement is going to be exaggerated and seem to be very bad. I would recommend a stabilizer bar be installed to help with your problem
I just had all my tires ballanced and my tie rods changed why is mt stering wheel still moving when i drive???
Have a mechanic tighten your steering wheel nut.
Did you get an allignment, changing new tires sometimes throws it out of whack!......GOOD LUCK
replace the idler arm. thats all it is. And don't take it back to ever installed the tie rods. He should have caught this right away.