Friday, September 23, 2011

I was told that my tie rods are really worn, is this true if my car shows no evidence of bad steering?

I took my 1994 Volvo wagon in for an oil change and they looked the car over and reported that my right front tie rods are very worn, however, I just recently returned from a road trip and the steering seemed to be great. I could let go of the wheel and it would not veer at all. Bumpy roads were fine. And my tires have no sign of particularly abnormal tire wear. Should I be concerned and get it fixed asap, or get a second opinion?
I was told that my tie rods are really worn, is this true if my car shows no evidence of bad steering?
the biggest key here is that your tires seem to wearing properly, typically the first sign of steering component problems...



get a second opinion...
I was told that my tie rods are really worn, is this true if my car shows no evidence of bad steering?
dale's on the money,honey. have a professional look at %26quot;that%26quot; tie end and show you where it is bad. if your tire has the kind of wear with chapping it is a sign to check for a problem. and there may be none.then i suggest rotate the tires.
Definately get a second opinion. But do not give the second mechanic any suggestions. A lot of mechanics work for a commission and will say yes they are bad just to make a buck. If the second says its bad, ask them to show you. You will have no problem seeing the movement if its badly worn.
A second opinion is in order - but if the boots over the tie rod connections to the racks are torn they should be replaced soon to prevent wear.



I ignored torn boots (at $25 each, just for the parts!) on my 1985 765T. One of the tie rods eventually started wearing, and it was very obvious. Light or hard braking was okay, but moderate braking made the front end shake like a wet dog. I was amazed to find the wear on the tie rod was only a little less than a millimeter!