Monday, September 19, 2011

Not sure what the issue is, tie rod, alignment, Help Please..?

05 Chevy Impala 68k miles. I Was informed by Meineke while getting an oil change that I needed my hub bearing replaced on the front driver side, due to my tire was moving back and forthe(when they were checking them) I went %26amp; purchased the part(s) %26amp; had my mechanic replaced the part, however I still feel this play in my steering column, I feel it under my feet %26amp; I can hear it a little bit. The tie rod was replaced in the front approx 3 years ago. I plan on going to get an alignment tomorrow....but does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks in Advance.
Not sure what the issue is, tie rod, alignment, Help Please..?
You have got to remove any worn components before you get an alignment check done. Be careful because a lot of these fast tyre fit places offer to do wheel alignment but don't check for any excess play first. You might have a worn ball joint somewhere on the steering set up but need to raise the front wheels, then shake the wheel side to side (holding the wheel at quarter to three) and shake it top to bottom ( holding it at 6o'clock)
Not sure what the issue is, tie rod, alignment, Help Please..?
Does it seem better after replacing the hub bearing? There are two tie rods ends (one on each side), same for the hub bearings, so it's possible that the other tie rod or hub bearing could be going bad as well. If the looseness is just in the steering wheel, have the alignment shop check the steering lash. If the steering gear box is worn, there's an adjustment that will take some of the play out of the wheel and make it tighter again. Also, ask them to check the control arm bushings. Worn bushings can cause sloppy steering too.
There are many little joints and pivots in the steering system. Get the front end aligned, and have them check the whole front end while they're under there.