Thursday, September 15, 2011

Is it necessary to jack up both sides of my car to change out the outer tie-rod ends?

The bushings on mine are shot, and I'm getting this bad clunking sound when I go over bumps. I'm gonna try and change out my outer tie-rod ends and see if that helps.



I'm just curious as to whether or not it's necessary for me to jack up both sides of my car to change them out, or if it can be done one side at a time.



Apparently it's an easy job, so I'm gonna try and tackle it myself.
Is it necessary to jack up both sides of my car to change out the outer tie-rod ends?
What kind of vehicle do you have, usually you wont get a clunk noise when going over bumps from you inner tie rod ends. You might want to check the front sway bar links. those are what causes the clunking noise,
Is it necessary to jack up both sides of my car to change out the outer tie-rod ends?
The changing is easy but the the alignment is critical and and hard to do without a machine.

You CAN do it 1 side at a time but it is the hardest $40 you ever saved.
It's not the tie rod ends. If it were, the steering wheel would shake or the car would drift a lot. The clunk is a bad strut.
thats not going to help the problem/the ends only control the steering not the suspension and thats where your problem is
you better count the threads while your spinning it off. you don,t have to jack up both sides. just do 1 side at a time but make sure the car is safe and don,t fall on you. jack it up and shake the tire back and forth. if it don,t shake then it,s not the tie rods. you noise is probably sway bar bushings or a loose strut.
  • some advice about a friend
  • pedicures is flirting
  •