Friday, September 23, 2011

My Car Shakes Wildly On The Freeway! Why?

When I drive on the freeway and hit over 65Mph my car starts to vibrate heavily. I already tried to align and balance the tires. I even paid a fortune to change the axle rod which a mechanic claimed to be the source of the problem. However, the issue persists. Now the mechanic guy told me to try changing the engine mount and the tie rod. But Im not going to throw my money away again if it wont fix the problem.



So can anyone suggest a solution? Should I trust the mechanic guy or what?



Thanks a lot,
My Car Shakes Wildly On The Freeway! Why?
My very first thought was a bad tire.

Jack up the car and slowly rotate the tire. Check for any out of round or side to side motion.

I had tires balanced three times. Still had vibration. Jacked up the car and discovered the tires were out of round by .016%26quot;. Purchased two new tires and I said good bye to vibration problems. I told the techs to check for out of round and side to side. This was not done. Had this problem on my current car. I watched them balance the tire. I could see tread moving side to side. Tech did not look at tire, just looked at the balancer's readout. I pointed out the tire was moving side to side and why didn't they visually inspect the tire as I had asked. Remounted the tire and rebalanced. Problem fixed.

Question, is the steering wheel moving rapidly back and forth when you drive? If so, then you have a bad tire. Or a bent rim.

I would look at the tires first. Do your own inspection first.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck
My Car Shakes Wildly On The Freeway! Why?
it may be drastic like that, but it sounds like you may just have a busted belt in a tire.... you can really only detect at high speed and they probably haven't thought lightly enough to rule it... just get close to your tires and check the sidewall for a slight bulge outward, in a perfect circle around a tire, about midway of the side... i hope its this easy
It may be your bushings. Suggest to your mechanic to take a look at them before you spend more money. That's my suggestion, good luck.
if it is consistently over 65 mph it can be either a tire balance issue or a broken belt in the tire(s). If it only starts to vibrate after you hit 65 mph and then you say oh shoot, im speeding and then you tap the brakes and thenit starts vibrating, its warped front rotors. An axle rod (im assuming half shaft) would have made heavy vibes at all speeds



and to Mr. Ross, it still wouldve made a vibration at all speeds (bushings??? how about wheel bearings??? bushings on a car causing vibes.....)
jay, your mechanic is the one from the battery commercial keep hitting it itll fit.id check my wheels and tires.harmonics are funny and while a bent wheel would do it at low speeds, would tend to lessen at speed, but an out of round tire wont, itll just bounce wildly,not saying thats your problem, but take it out on the highway and have a buddy drive next to you passenger side and drivers side and see if something is obviously bouncing.is it rear wheel drive?standard trans?(even auto) it may be a pinion bearing, bent driveline or slip yoke or bad bushing in the tail shaft.front wheel drive, id look at steering as well as all axle bearings. also simple check is rubb your hand along tire tread,looking for bulging spots.it could even be the strut towers flexing or the rubbers gone from the struts, somwhere the prob is small, but vibrations will make your car a pile of junk. those vibes are transfered harmonically to your whole power train.
There are issues that are specific to certain vehicles! Please - put the vehicle information in. For example, Jeeps can develop a %26quot;death wobble%26quot; from a worn steering dampener. Others can develop an oblong in the tie rod ends, leading to a loose wheel and a speed-specific vibration.



Suggestions on a phantom model are phantom suggestions!
That's what I think as well, your tires. BUT if you want to make sure, you could try the TIE ROD troubleshooting tip found on the link to further isolate the problem. I wish you good luck!
the rim could possibly be bent. but it definately sounds like a tire problem
  • channel
  • parameter
  •