Monday, September 19, 2011

Do I need to change my brakes or is it my tires?

My brakes have squeaked a few times, but not continuously. I just bought the truck a year ago. I thought it was just my brakes, but when I had my oil changed both tires on the passenger side had a lower tread than the driver side. Also when i turn my wheel hard to the right it makes a noise? Could this noise be a tie-rod? Or could it be an alignment problem? My truck bears to the right on a straight road, but not all the time. My tires make a roaring noise at a high rate of speed and are not doing the %26quot;normal%26quot; shaking, that an out of line vehicle would do. I read that it might be a tire problem instead of an alignment problem. I know a mechanic can't really tell unless they take a look at the actual vehicle and drive it, but can you tell me what is most likely wrong with my vehicle or if it is multiple problems? Oh my vehicle is a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, 6 cylinder. I had this problem with my last truck no problems ever seemed to be solved. I don't want the run around again.
Do I need to change my brakes or is it my tires?
Turning to the right is not going to cause a tire noise. Ford/Mercury outer tie rod ends are notorious for making noise since they use a plastic bushing instead of grease for lubrication. Eventually the bushing wears and starts to squeak - a truly horrible design.



Your tires probably make noise due to uneven %26quot;heel-and-toe%26quot; wear due to lack of rotating tires on schedule and/or a wheel alignment that is off. Ford/Mercury trucks are notoriously hard on tires and demand very careful adherence to the maintenance schedules to get good, even wear out of them.



Given that it is a Mountaineer have it checked for worn out ball joints in the front suspension too.
Do I need to change my brakes or is it my tires?
get a car.
well was the truck new or used? first off if its used it could be what is called a hub bearing making the noise and causing the vibrations. the screeching could also be power steering but i would have the hub bearings checked. and it could be one tire is underinflated causing the wear it could still be an alignment. because it wont always vibrate.
I am assuming the tyres are not the original fitment. growling tyres are caused by a chunkier tread block pattern. Less tread on passengers side could be because the majority of torque is transmitted through that tyre on the rear axle, i am guessing the tyres have been rotated front to back some time ago( as the tread is directional you would have to turn them on the rim to go left to right.) If the noise on full lock is a clunk it could be a tie rod, squeal could be pump or belt. get it checked
These are all guesses (good ones though).



Get it to a mechanic, preferably a good one.
1; Tires of the same size and tread pattern all the way around (4 that are the same)



2; After tires are changed check tie-rod ends and %26quot;A%26quot;Frame bushings.



Right side suspension front %26amp; Rear, something is loose, weak or broken causing it to lean to the right, IE; tire wear.



3; Squeaking in turns could be belts with extra pressure from the power steering pump, may need all belts replaced and tensions set properly.
sounds like a front wheel bearing,making more noise as you turn.the wearing of the tires could be caused by w wheel alignment.i assume it it rear wheel drive....hope it helps, good luck,