Friday, September 23, 2011

What would cause the shaking and shimmying in the front end of my truck?

On my 77 Ford F-150 4x4 i am havin a shaking problem, sometimes when i start to drive, my front end starts to shimme, but other times, it wont do anything until i get to about 50-55 mph.. then it starts shaking really bad and i have to slow down to about 10mph to get it to stop. I had this problem last summer too, so i changed my front springs, and shocks all the way around, including the steering stabalizer shock, i also replaced the rocker arm bushings, this fixed it until recently. it started up again, im not sure if it is alignment or something to do with tie rods or what... but it doesnt do it all the time which has me confused, sometimes it only shimmies a little, but most of the time it shakes really bad... any suggestions? anything helps

Thanx
What would cause the shaking and shimmying in the front end of my truck?
Worn out tie rod ends or a worn out ball joint can cause those symptoms.



Best way to check. Jack up the front of one side of the truck. Grab the tire on both sides (left and right), and wiggle. The tire should not have any play in it from the suspension side. If there is a looseness or you feel something clicking then you have to replace the loose part. Usually you can visually sight it if you can feel it.
What would cause the shaking and shimmying in the front end of my truck?
I would suspect worn tie rod ends. Check them on both ends; if there is any play on either the steering knuckle end or center link end, that tie rod end needs to be replaced.



Could also be out-of-balance wheels...
since you have alrready spent all tha tmoney, have it checked by a professional
IT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE YOUR STEERING STABILIZER SHOCK HAS GONE OUT AGAIN, BUT THE TIE RODS COULD ALSO BE A CONCERN, I WOULD UNBOLT ONE END OF THE STEERING SHOCK AND PUSH IN AND OUT ON IT TO SEE WHAT KIND OF RESISTANCE YOU GET, GOOD LUCK.
check your u-joints